Here’s a short clip of one of my cycling classes! This past weekend Prime Cycle hosted an outdoor block party on the Hoboken waterfront. It was an awesome day of music, exercise, inspiration and plenty of good vibes If you haven’t been into class with me yet, and need an inspiring, fun and motivational boost to your cardio routine I HIGHLY recommend trying a class out! The downtown studio is located in Hoboken right next to Path at 70 Hudson Street. I teach Mon/Wed 6:30 &7:30p and Sunday’s 11A Visit www.primecycle.com schedule to book a ride! First time riders are complementary!
Hey guys ! The push -up is an exercise you can do anywhere, any time. There are literally, no excuses. You can do these moves in a small space, gym, outdoors or at the beach! Check out the video below for variations on the basic push-up and take your workout to the next level ! Any questions, ask!
Watch Celeste ?try to mess me up ? Here's more #pushupchallenge #variations that focus a bit more on #balance and #flexibility ???♀️?? Remember to watch your form, modify when you need to and don't hurt yourself???? Break it down into sets, complete 100 reps. You have 24 hours to #makeithappen… #GO +Downdog pushup +Side leg sweep pushup +Squat hold pushup +4 point pushup +One arm pushup • • • • • #fitnessmotivation #fitnessanywhere #coredeforce #catsofinsta #trainertips #personaltrainer #inhometraining #dothework #healthyhabits #strength #persistence #gains #summerbodyready #inspiration #motivation #thecat #bodyweighttraining #fierce45 #goodvibes #bonuscat ? Fitness fashion by @onzie ✔️
Taking time to relax is underrated. In fact, I’m not sure that I ever really “relax” until I unplug from all of my digital devices and take time to experience life without all the “noise” and information coming at what seems like light speed. Like you, I have a social media account, an email, text messaging, instant messaging, the ability to watch TV on my phone, and to let everyone know where I am, what I’m doing and who I’m doing it with. Like you, when I’m not working, everyone can still reach me to “be in touch”. I can scroll Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, get all my news delivered in a feed to my phone curated and neatly packaged, easy to read. I can be on my device from the moment I wake up until I fall asleep at night. I can get messages even when I’m sick and be expected to answer them. Does having all of this “information” and “access” make me any more productive?
Truthfully, I was productive and able to remember things on my own before the days of smart phones, Facebook and the Internet. I wrote things down, I read books, took my time, remembered phone numbers and birthday’s…all in my head. I used my big badass brain. Amazing right? Eh, not really.. Just imagine a day without Facebook reminding you what is going on in the world..
What is REALLY going on in YOUR world?
I have many people come to me stressed out, unable to sleep, not able to lose weight, eating shitty food and they say; “put me on a plan”, “help me!” They’re looking for advice, a coach, or guide and I can help, but the reality is that you need to set things in motion for yourself.. and sometimes my best advice requires clients to sit still..
I spend time on vacation every year in Mexico. While I’m away I don’t set up cell service and rely only on wifi. That means if I want to get in touch with someone, send an email or text I need to purposefully get a wifi connection. I have to walk to a cafe and sit down, order a coffee and then connect. The horror! I can’t just open my eyes, grab my phone and connect to the world. Okay, I’m being slightly sarcastic but this is to illustrate a point. The point is that I LOG OFF.. and I do it because I’ve learned the lesson of having peace of mind. When I’m working, my clients get my full attention, but when I’m not working, I’ve learned to breathe. It’s a process and it involves being in the moment and focusing on what is NOW rather than being distracted by notifications on my cell phone and future what-if’s.
On vacation , I’m reminded of how important it is to sit still and to really SEE what is in front of me. There’s an art to being present and like most art, if you want to master your craft, you must practice. Most of the time, in daily life, I get distracted, pulled in ten different directions and can easily lose focus if I’m not mindful. When I’m on vacation, and not constantly checking my phone or email I get to pause. Im able to allow for the opportunity to observe and appreciate whats around me to guide me. I trust my instincts rather than a device. Now, I know it’s called vacation for a reason and we can’t abandon responsibilities altogether; however, what if we could take the peacefulness that we experience when we LOG OFF with us into our daily lives?
I don’t see why that would be a problem.
Below are some simple tips that I use to decompress and destress my life; I’m a work in progress and there’s no hard or fast rule to what works but I consider these a good start.
1) Designate a day, once a week to be offline. No posting, no scrolling. Observe how you feel at the end of the day. Are you nervous that you missed something or did you find yourself more engaged in your day? What you are mindful of matters.
2) Pick up a book or newspaper. Instead of burying your face in your iPhone or tablet, go old school and pick up a newspaper, magazine, or a book. I personally like the tactile experience of turning a page and looking at pictures in real time. Not everything has to be in high-def and seen through a filter. Look out the window on a sunny day, go for a walk in the park, get out from behind the computer screen and experience the world as it actually IS.
3) No news is GOOD news. Seriously, I’m all for being informed and aware of what’s happening in the world but do I really need to know everything in real time on a feed, everyday 24/7? Is all that information helping me to CHANGE anything or is it just adding to my stress level and worry? Get your news, discuss it, then get over it and move on. We could spend hours reading a news story and then talking it up for another hour or two. Meanwhile, our children, family, lover, pets, ourselves… are all waiting in the wings. Priorities people.
4) Get outside. On vacation, we all spend time outdoors exploring and experiencing the world. You can do this on a regular basis at home if you are mindful enough to make the choice to step outside. I’ll be the first to say, that’s not always easy for those of us in the Northeast, especially during winter. However, getting outdoors (simple change of scenery), taking a different way to work, simply breaking up your routine can be a spark for inspiration and drastically change your mood.
5) Move… or meditate. As a personal trainer/ fitness professional I advocate for moving your body. However, what about moving your mind? Can you imagine the possibility to shift your frequency/energy by just sitting still? As a person who is highly energetic and distracted by things I find refuge in coming back to home base. Lets talk meditation for a second. Sitting still and focusing on your breath or an intention can change your world. Sound too new-age’y? It’s not. People have been meditating for thousands of years. Fact is, you don’t have to “sit” down to do it. You can move while you meditate. The important thing is to relax, become aware of what’s happening with you and just breathe. Some many us take shallow breaths and sit with poor posture all day that focusing on just sitting up straight and taking a few deep breaths can be life changing! Being truly present is not just a gift to yourself, it also helps those around you. The more relaxed and at ease YOU are , the more productive and positive you are to the humans around you. Its a win-win!
MY 6 tips for Finding your FIERCE again or locating it for the first time 🙂
1)MIND OVER MATTER. Get into the right mindset because being FIT and FIERCE starts upstairs, in your brain. What we think about we bring about! Keep those good vibes and positive flowing and if you cant generate them on your own, find a studio where you can get your group fitness on and be in the company of others who are looking to vibe on a higher level.
2)Music IS the ANSWER. Seriously folks. Turn up the volume to your favorite tunes and vibe out to your favorite jams. Music is a mood lifter! Tune in on your favorite instructors playlists (you can follow me here https://open.spotify.com/user/1214798123) or follow your favorite artists for inspiration. Better yet, make your own playlist for your next workout and turn up the intensity for yourself! 🙂
3)NO FEAR, NO FAIL… If you haven’t been in the studio , gym or at your practice lately its OK. Return with a beginners mind and give yourself a break. While you’re getting back into your routine focus on posture, form and using your breath with your movements. Get back to the basics and take the pressure off yourself. There’s never anything wrong with beginning again, think of it as an opportunity to reunite and unify your body, mind and spirit.
4)BOOK A CLASS If you’re having trouble getting off your A$$ my best advice is to a group class in your local area ASAP. You will not only have someone to motivate you, you will also find others who are there for the same reason, and make connections. Its a win-win situation!
5)HIRE A PROFESSIONAL. Let someone else take over, seriously. Find a fitness pro in your area who is certified, recommended and experienced who can program design for you. All you need to do is show up and LISTEN. The best way to learn how to exercise and execute movements correctly is from someone who has the experience and knowledge to show you how. Put down the magazines, stop obsessing over fads or listening to friends who claim to know it all. Get together with a professional who can tailor a program to meet your individual needs and cut the fat!
6)DIG a LITTLE DEEPER. Seriously. Nothing is worse than being the roadblock to your own success. Sometimes we don’t even realize that we are our own problem. Take a step back and break away- from the news, from family, friends, social media, everyone’s opinions and ask yourself what it is that YOU want the MOST. Create a list of goals and post it where you can see it every day. Then commit to working on those goals daily. Remember the idea here is to create momentum and forward motion!
Happy New Year EVERYONE!!! As a fitness professional I suppose my first focus should be on exercise, diet, New Years resolutions.. However this year, is different. With all that has transpired in the last few months around the recent election and all the emotions swirling I feel that my focus shifting inward. One of the things I say to clients and if you’ve ever trained or taken class with me you already know is; “Working out is nothing more than working within.”
I’m calling upon that phrase as we kick off this year to encourage all of us to dig a little deeper. Lets be a little more mindful of our bodies, of our stress levels, of what we allow to lift us higher and also what effects us negatively. One of my steadfast rules to working out has and continues to be, “no negativity in the workout”. That being said, my own personal goal this year is to stay engaged politically as a female but not be consumed with worry, frustration or anger. My goal for my clients is for you all to commit to a solid workout program and FOCUS within. Consciously connecting to what our bodies do and how we FEEL during the day makes a huge impact because it keeps you aware IN the moment. Take the five extra seconds and really focus on that extra rep in the gym, or that extra few seconds holding a sprint during a cycling class, and use your mental capacity to turn your thoughts into a positive rather than a negative.
I work out six days a week, and no matter how I feel I am in session with clients or on a bike instructing a room full of people. REGARDLESS of what has happened to ME during the day, I put my worries, fears, frustrations, joy, pain, into the workout! I USE what is happening within my life to work(out) my life.
We all have the capacity to SHIFT our energy and make choices that will either result in a positive or negative experience. Its all about mindset and aligning yourself in the direction of your desire. Set a goal, set an intention and go after it. Focus on that goal fully, feel the energy of your full capacity to MOVE, be grateful for every chance you get to use your body fully (some people don’t have that luxury) and commit fully in the moment.
Show up in class, be in the gym, mind your diet, meal prep, do what YOU need to do that will help YOU. Here are my five tips on how to reset and bring the focus back :
1)LOG OFF. Get off social media. Instead of posting every gym selfie and hashtag under the sun FOCUS on your workout, how you feel and what your body is doing. The time you take posting, applying filters and finding the right angle could be better used into program design. Book a session with me, and I’ll show you what I really mean about optimizing time 😉
2) After you log off, DON’T LOOK BACK. Give yourself a set amount of time where you will commit to the basics and grind on your workouts. Go forward, and don’t beat yourself up over things in the past that you can’t change. Work with me or your own trainer to set up a plan for yourself. One week, one month, six weeks of a solid commitment to being in a workout routine. Know what your goal is, map it out and execute!
3)SHOW UP. With the exception of being ill or an emergency, show up to your workout. Show up for yourself. Instead of a resolution, make a commitment and stick to it. Do not over commit. Start small, and go forward from there.
4) Ditch the negative. If there’s anyone or anything in your life that is deterring from your progress, listen to it less. I can’t make the blanket statement to just ignore it because some of us have to help those who do not hold our values. However, we can filter, re-frame and move forward. My idea here is for you to FIND YOUR FIERCE and move in the direction of your desire.
5) DO YOU. Seriously. Mind your business this year. Try not to compare yourself to anyone but yourself. Strive to BE your BEST and grab your personal gains on your own time. Comparing yourself to anyone else is never a good idea. Keep it simple, enjoy your process and give yourself the chance to allow change to happen.
Peace & Love,
Or is it? I’m not one to look forward to shorter days, colder temperatures and gloomy grey skies. I like the heat, sun and would wear a bikini everywhere I could if possible. But lets get real, I live in NJ not LA so the reality is we have a change of seasons and guess what? Change is good! Just like I change up my clients workout programs to keep them in the mode of progress I look at the change of seasons similarly. Here are my five tips for my fellow beach bums to get through the changes and stay happy and healthy!
1) Supplement with Vitamin D, it’s a well known fact that many people in our region of the country are Vitamin D deficient due to lack of exposure to sun. Shorter days can bring on mood changes and whats know as SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder, a condition that causes depression and lethargy that coincides with lack of sunlight. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and acts as a hormone in the body and is responsible for keeping your mood stable, provides energy and creates systemic balance. Be sure to check your Vitamin D levels first OR you can stock your fridge with cruciferous greens that contain bioavilable Vitamin D! Just be sure not to over cook them! Broccoli, Spinach, Kale, Bok Choy and Swiss Chard are some of my favorites! Get them at your local farmers market or choose them at your foodstore when they are first delivered for maximum freshness, be sure to eat them within two days of purchase to ensure you maximize nutrient availability!
2) Get outside during the day. Look, I know the joy of sleeping in and I love to any chance I get, however, when the days get shorter I make certain to set an alarm and get outside during the day especially when I’m not working. Its easy to fall into what I call “VampLife” once the sun starts setting early. I’m not and never have been an early riser so I can tell you that waking up late in the fall and then having only a few hours of sunshine is maddening. Open your blinds in the house, let the light in, get your booty out of bed even if you’re tired and get outside. Go for a walk, go get coffee, go to the park and sit on a bench, keep rocking your outdoor workouts! I know my early risers won’t have a problem with that , this tip is geared toward those of you who are more like me 😉
3) Seasons change and so do we. Seasons changing can be a great time to clear your spirit, clean out your closets, release negative energy , let go of whats not working in our lives and reboot the system. It may sound cliche but just like we take out the trash on a regular basis we also need to take out our own mental garbage and clutter. If you don’t have mental space and clarity of mind I can tell you that you’re less like to succeed on a fitness program or reach peak performance in any endeavor. IT ALL STARTS UPSTAIRS. Fitness and success start with what you believe because as humans we ACT in the direction of our belief systems. If you’re bummed out about not being able to spend the weekend at the beach try this; Take an area of your life thats a bit unorganized and devote at set amount of time to organizing it. Watch the way you feel before and then after you complete your task. I know when I attend to the things in my life that I’ve been procrastinating about getting done I feel an instant surge of energy and accomplishment!
4) Shift your energy. Instead of being sad, get glad! Life is short and sometimes we just need to get a grip! We can think about what we can’t do , don’t have or what used to be and get stuck in the past OR we can embrace change and move forward! Change of seasons means that there are new events and activities to try, holidays to get excited for, trips to plan and goals to get! The idea here is to never forget you have options and to avoid the mindset of lack, impatience and complaint. Are we perfect? Hell no. Do we always get it right? No. But to get moving in a more positive direction, if you feel yourself going to the dark side, SHIFT gear into the lighter side of any given situation. not always easy but ultimately it’s your choice that makes the difference and creates the shift.
5) Get centered. Dissatisfaction is a signal that we need to address something (often within ourselves). If we are uncomfortable with change, if the seasonal shift bums your mood, or you just feel down around the holidays, its time to take note. Literally take notes! Grab a pen and some paper and find some time for yourself, by yourself . Make a list of what you’re feeling and see what comes up for you. Self-reflection goes a long way. Change starts within and is inevitable, not always easy to embrace and not as simple as putting on a sweater however, it ALWAYS worth the effort if we take the time to NOTICE whats happening inside us and act consciously in words, thoughts and actions.
Guess what? Me either. I’m busy, up early and home late and I spend most of my time as a Personal Trainer catering to other peoples needs, wants, desires and goals. If you want to talk excuses, I have heard ALL of them. Believe me. I heard some last night and just this afternoon. Now, I’m not going to blow up anyones spot but I WILL repeat what I say to myself and to my classes/clients that I meet up with six days a week. There are 24 hours in a day if you can’t find time for yourself then you need a change of mind. Again, it all goes back to MINDSET which is something that is embedded into the fundamental level of each and everyone of my training programs.
Let me break it down for you real simple. You are busy, stressed, overworked, partied out, hungover, your dog ate your sneaker, you’re sore, you have a headache. Guess what? In the time it is taking me to write out this blog I did 25 push-ups. Why? To illustrate a point. There is time, IF YOU MAKE TIME and get your head in the game!
Welcome to my 100 a day challenge. Pick a body part you want to strengthen or tone; so lets say you tell me, “Dani I want my arms to look like yours.” Ok fine. Lets get to work!
Give me 100 push-ups every day for the next week! Most likely you will look at me like I’m crazy at first BUT lets break it down AGAIN. We have time. We have a whole day so for those of you who don’t get to the gym, or to class, or do your 30 minutes of recommended cardio daily this one is for YOU! From the moment you get out of bed, until the moment you lay down at night, you will give me 100 perfect push-ups using correct form. You can modify the exercise by dropping to your knees or using a countertop or table. You can space the exercise repetitions throughout the day. The reason for so many reps is to keep you mindful and to get you into the mindset of thinking fitness, habit, control, and change. Baby steps people, success doesn’t happen overnight!
The idea here is to GOAL SET and then get MOVING! Let me know when you have completed the challenge and as I always say, hold yourself accountable, no Bullsh*t. You have 24 hours, now make it happen!
Watch my video below for push- up demonstrated correctly:
How do we hold onto the things that matter when our world seems to be falling apart?
I think the answer to that lies in FOCUS and staying present; Moment by moment. That’s easier said then done when life is happening around us but LIFE is never going to conform itself to our will. Its about how we respond that really makes a difference.
I say to my clients all the time that FITNESS and HEALTH start upstairs- In your mind. “What you think about you bring about, so THINK positive!“ Again, easier said than done when life is throwing you curveballs but just like we PRACTICE a sport or practice yoga, running or weight train in the gym, we have to practice positive thinking and maintain our focus in order for our bodies to function at an optimum level.
When we let the things that happen around us take our focus away from ourselves or we give our attention to too many things at once and lose sight of what’s positive in our lives and become scattered, complacent and negative in our outlook, our bodies suffer as a result. When you lose Focus and Intention and become mentally scattered, your body will respond with pain, illness and tension.
This is why, during times of stress or difficulty it’s SO important to PAY ATTENTION to your SELF. Checking in with your feelings, journaling, meditation, and getting back to your passions in life are brilliant ways to reset scattered energy. This can be hard when life pulls you in ten different directions but it takes practice- and nothing worthwhile happens overnight! When we realize that we are in control of how we REACT to the situations that life throws at us, the sooner we can harness our power and inner strength to keep our minds and our bodies POWERFULLY POSITIVE and function at a SUPREME level of HEALTH. However, it is up to you to hit that RESET button when you have a bad day and MOVE forward rather than getting stuck in a hole.
Love AND Peace
Daniela 🙂 🙂 🙂